- Karna Prayag Trust was set up : - To care, protect and rehabilitate abandoned and destitute children
- To help women in distressKarna Prayag is:- Registered under the Trust act and the orphanages and Charitable
Homes act of 1960 - No.20 / 2003 dated 27.05.2003
- Recognised as Fit Institution by the Juvenile Welfare Board under the
Juvenile Justice Act - No. 101/92 dated 27.11.1992
- Licensed to process in-country adoptions by the Social Welfare
and nutritious meal programme department of the Government of
Tamil Nadu - No.6/2010 dated 30.08.2010 validity up to 22.04.2013
- Licensed to process inter-country adoptions by the Government of
India through the Central Adoption Resource Authority ( CARA )as
Recognised Indian Placement Agency - RIPA-23/2010 dated – 29.11.2010, Validity up to 15.11.2013.
What does the Trust do?- Receives abandoned and surrendered babies and looks after them till they are ready for adoption. The nursery is managed by Qualified & experienced nurses and childcare workers, with support and advice from a Neonatal Paediatrician, Nutritionist and Occupational and Physiotherapists.
- Registers couples wishing to adopt babies and processes their adoption papers through home study, counseling, personal interviews and identifying the right baby – the process managed by Social workers, Counsellors and the adoption committee.
- - Places babies initially in foster care with the adoptive parents after obtaining all necessary clearances from the Government and the Paediatrician, and completes the process by legalization.
- Since 2007, runs a day care centre at subsidized rates for Pre-school and after-school children of working mothers which is open from 0830 AM to 0700 PM.
- Conducts Karna Prayag Endowment lectures annually – the first one was
delivered in November 2010, by the Hon.Dr.Justice A R Lakshmanan on
“Rights and obligations of parties to surrogacy” – the new process that is yet to be fully defined under Indian Law.
- Conducts annual get-togethers where the prospective parents get an
opportunity to interact with the parents who have adopted children.
- Works in collaboration and networks with other NGOs – SOS Childrens’ Villages of India - Chatnath Homes, Tamilnadu Foundation Inc. USA, Parenting matters, Chennai Councelor’s foundation, Association for Non-traditional Employment for women (ANEW) and Omayal Achi College of Nursing, Chennai.
- How do we fund our activities?Karna Prayag is financed entirely through donations. Our address for communication and donations:
The Karna Prayag Trust, 10, Raja Krishna Road, Teynampet, Chennai – 600018.
E mail : email@example.com
Telephone : (91) (44) 24355182
Fax : (91) (44) 24344485
The following individuals will interface on behalf of Karna Prayag
United States of America:
Dr. Krishnankutty (Krishna) Sudhir,
Ms. Joanne Ferguson,
Ms. Nandini Hengen,